When it comes to dessert, everyone in my family begs my aunt Lonni to make my grandmother Suzanne’s famous cheesecake. I really wanted to carry on this family tradition and was so happy to discover that it originated in an issue of Bon Appétit magazine! My grandmother clipped the recipe Cheese Cake Doucette by Chef Richard Doucette from an October 1974 Bon Appétit magazine…before I was born!
Published: February 2, 2012
- Yield: 8 to 10 Servings
When it comes to dessert, everyone in my family begs my aunt Lonni to make my grandmother Suzanne’s famous cheesecake. I really …
- CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST
- 1 9-ounce box Famous® Chocolate Wafers
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 3 8-ounce packages cream cheese softened, cut into quarters–preferred brand: Philadelphia
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- SOUR CREAM TOPPING
- 1 pint sour cream preferred brand: Knudson
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a food processor with fitted grater attachment to make the perfect coarse crumbs. Transfer crumbs to a medium-size bowl; add sugar, melted butter and use hands to thoroughly combine.
- Press moist crumb mixture evenly onto the bottom and sides of 9-inch springform pan, leaving about ½-inch clear space from top of pan to crust.
- Place prepared crust on a foil covered sheet pan; bake in oven for 10 minutes. Let crust cool for 10 minutes before filling.
- In a food processor with fitted blade attachment, mix cream cheese, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract; blend for 30 seconds, remove lid, scrape sides, then continue to blend until completely smooth, approximately 1½ to 2 minutes more.
- Pour cream cheese filling into prepared crust; bake for approximately 1 hour, or until lightly golden, puffed, and center moves slightly. Remove from oven; set aside and immediately prepare sour cream topping.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, sugar, vanilla extract; pour on top of baked cheesecake and use a spatula to lightly, evenly spread sour cream topping. Return cheesecake pan to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven; transfer cheesecake pan onto a wire rack to completely cool.
- Refrigerate cheesecake for 24 hours to set. Note: Do not remove cheesecake from springform pan until ready to cut and serve.
- Skill Level: Advanced